Monday 16 March 2015

Today, We Ate

Okay, so I just had the typical three square meals today, but for some reason it feels like I've been feasting all day.  Probably a result of the great quantities of food that have been laid out before me.

I slept like the dead last night and despite waking up a bit earlier than I normally would I felt great.  The jet lag is starting to catch up with me a bit now (9pm local time) and I'm sure to crash as soon as I finish writing this, but it hasn't slowed me down too much today.

The day was largely spent catching up with friends and family, often over a mighty feast.  Euphy also had some things to attend to, so we spent a lot of time driving around the city, which was a nice opportunity for me to reacquaint myself with Zhuhai.  It also gave me a chance to acclimate to the great adventure that is being a passenger in a motor vehicle traversing Zhuhai's streets; it's an activity that takes a certain relaxed attitude towards one's own mortality.  After a day jaunting about I'm happy to report that the terrors have dissipated.

It was quite interesting to travel around here to see the changes that are in process.  The road we're staying on is currently being outfitted with tracks that look to be for a street car or light-rail system.  They've also put in many pedestrian underpasses in the areas where the train tracks will prevent a normal crossing of the road.  None of that had even been started when I was here two years ago.  There are advantages to living in a climate where the ground never freezes I suppose.  As we drove along the seashore we saw a huge building under construction that Hai Tao informs me is going to be an opera house.  I'm hoping to get a picture tomorrow morning.  Another absolutely massive construction project is under way along the waterfront in the form of a bridge that will link Zhuhai, Hong Kong and Macau.  On the ferry ride in from Hong Kong last night I could see pieces of the bridge being constructed along our path.  Given that it's an hour-long ferry ride the scale of that bridge building project must be staggering.  All told though with all this construction going on I'd have to say that Zhuhai is a booming city.  Always a good thing to see.

We had dinner tonight with some of Hai Tao's friends, and I got to eat snake!  Unfortunately it was prepared with a pretty heavy seasoning, so I didn't get a proper sense of the flavour of the snake itself, but it was still a new and interesting culinary experience.

Well, it's been a pretty relaxing day, but I'm still feeling dead on my feet.  I think it's time to call it a night so that I can be ready for whatever tomorrow brings.  Take it easy everyone, and I'll check in again soon!

2 comments:

Jabbles said...

Food avenue are always fun. Glad you are having fun stay safe.

Debbie said...

You're brave.