Friday 20 March 2015

A Chilled Out Day in Zhuhai

Salutations ladies and gentlemen!  I hope you're all doing well on this fine day.

I'm afraid that I've got little to report today.  I woke up this morning with an absolutely crushing headache and so the first half of the day was a bit of a wash.  Fortunately we were able to pick up some ibuprofen at a local drug store (why I ever leave the house without any is beyond me) and the heavy curtains in our hotel room allowed us to almost completely black it out.  I think it was around 11:30 before I'd pulled myself together, but I did manage to get back on my feet.

Hai Tao took pity on me and chose a restaurant for lunch that serves "gwailo tsan" (whitey food) since I'd been unwell and he felt that I could use a taste of home.  We went to the Venice Restaurant for some Italian food, which apparently is a lot like Chinese food, except with spaghetti.  It was a damn good meal.

After lunch we visited Yuan Ming Xin Yuan, the new Summer Palace that was constructed in Zhuhai as a replica of the Summer Palace near Beijing.  We'd visited before on our last trip here, but it's still a nice place to walk around.  It's been very hazy/foggy/cloudy every day since we arrived, but this afternoon we actually got some blue skies, so it was a perfect time to be wandering around the Palace's park-like grounds.

Once we'd covered the Summer Palace we went out to a mall for a bit of relaxed shopping, and then met back up with Euphy's family for dinner.  The day didn't get off to a great start, but it sure provided a relaxing afternoon.

Tomorrow evening we'll be having our Chinese wedding reception here in Zhuhai.  Obviously it's been great just to get back and visit with Euphy's family, but having a reception for her family was the main reason we wanted to take this trip.  I have no idea what will be involved, and how long it will take, so it's hard to say when I'll get back to the hotel tomorrow.  If you don't hear from me tomorrow it just means I've had a late night.  Don't Panic!

1 comment:

Jabbles said...

Enjoy round two of extreme picture taking.