Thursday 18 October 2012

This Vacationing Is Hard Work, Time To Unwind

Howdy everyone!  Hope you're all doing well today.  We started the day off with a trip to the cemetery to pay our respects to Euphy's Uncle and Grandfather whose ashes are interred together there.   It's customary to visit in order to keep the site clean as a sign of respect.  We then had lunch and headed back to the hotel. Apparently everyone was feeling a bit worn out so we decided that a siesta was in order.

After everyone had a good nap we headed back out again.  Apparently Euphy's Dad had decided that all this tourism was just entirely too much work for Euphy and I and that we needed to relax, so he took us to the spa.  I'd read about this spa previously on Wikitravel and it's quite the facility.  It's done up in the style of a Japanese Onsen with hot springs being the primary focus, but with various other relaxation methods such as massages available.  The first thing I saw when I got in there was a guy with parallel lines of angry red ovals running up his back; it took me a moment to realize that this was probably a result of a type of "therapy" where they put scalding hot rocks on your back.  I skipped that one.

The place was quite neat.  There were tons of little pools that you could soak in, and I didn't realize at first that they were all different in some way.  We started by dipping into a pool that was an unappealing brown colour, and I commented that it smelled quite a lot like coffee.  That's when Euphy looked up at the sign and informed that it was, indeed the coffee pool.  Turns out that they mix various things into each of the pools that are supposed to be good for you in various ways.  Not sure what the coffee is supposed to do aside from the possibility of giving you a wicked caffeine buzz.  I've read somewhere that you actually can absorb caffeine through your skin.  At one point we were soaking in a pool that was especially hot and filled with celery and I became convinced that we were being cooked.

There was a pool with milk mixed into the water, and it was a two-stage set up with the water flowing from one pool in a lovely cascade into another identical one.  This gave me the idea that they should set the coffee pool up next to it and have them both cascade into another pool to make the cafe au lait pool.  I'm a genius with this sort of thing.  I think I'll open a spa when I get home.  I'll be famous for the cafe au lait spa, and then the rest can just be filled with various vegetables that didn't get used in the previous night's dinner.

We had dinner at the spa, and then headed out to pay a quick visit to one of Euphy's aunts.  Now we're back at the hotel getting ready for bed.  My poor camera didn't even make it out of its bag today (didn't think snapping photos at the spa would go over well) so I've got no photos for you this time around.  I should make up for that tomorrow though since we're heading to one of the islands off the coast of Zhuhai which is supposed to be quite lovely.  We'll have to get up early for the ferry, so it's time for this thoroughly marinated traveller to call it a night.  Relax and be well my friends!

1 comment:

Jabbles said...

Knowing Canadians, you would need a double double pool.