Wednesday 10 October 2012

Palace. Arena. Shop. Beijing: Done.

Today marks our final day in Beijing.  It's been a hell of a ride, and I've really enjoyed my time here, but I'm pumped to move on to Shanghai where we can operate more independently.  The truly unfortunate thing right now is the fact that we're going to have to wake up around 3:30 a.m. to catch our flight tomorrow.  Yum.  It's currently 7:20, which actually gives me the opportunity to get a decent amount of sleep provided that I can get to bed in the very near future.  All this running around has taken its toll, so I'm actually fairly confident that I can get to sleep as early as need be.  In the spirit of doing exactly that I'm going to make this a short post and then fill in the details tomorrow when I'm lounging about the airport in need of things to fill the time.

So, as an appetizer: today we went to The Summer Palace, alternating home and/or vacation spot for a variety of Emperors, the famous Birds Nest which was the centrepiece of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and we visited a jewellery store to learn about freshwater pearls.  All that and more, early tomorrow morning!  Stay tuned!

Okay, really, don't stay tuned, just check back later, I'll have a post for you then.

2 comments:

Jabbles said...

Granted I don't fly much but what kind of departure time is 3:30?

How was the sales pitch for said pearls?

Colin Young said...

Departure time is actually 8:05, but the shuttle to the airport left our hotel at 4:00. Yay!