Tuesday 20 April 2010

And Here We Go!

Alright everyone, it's the Tuesday before I leave for vacation, which means it's time to start abandoning the once-per-week format for the blog.  I'm guessing that I won't have a whole lot to report during the lead-up to the vacation, but expect some updates starting Saturday.  We'll be leaving Toronto Friday night, but just going as far as Petrolia, so no updates from the Internet Free Zone.  We'll be in Louisville on Saturday night though, and with any luck I can find an internet connection somewhere (hopefully the hotel!) and make a blog post.  I will, of course, have my new Netbook with me, and there's a WiFi spot in the lobby at Fontana Village, so at the very least you'll be getting updates come Monday.  I'll try to keep them coming regularly at that point.

On the motorcycling front, I did a good amount of riding this weekend, even though Saturday was cold, rainy, and miserable.  Sunday was gorgeous, and I covered about 200km in one nice long trip up North to Keswick.  The unfortunate thing there is that after 200km my knees were aching, my hands and feet were going numb, and I was starting to get cold.  I think it really solidified in my mind just how impractical it's going to be to drive the bike all the way down to Detroit in order to have Jay's buddy take it down to Fontana for me.  It's a small bike, and it's just not built for long distance travel.  It's uncomfortable at speeds above 80km/h, it's fairings do nothing to deflect the wind, it's just not a touring bike.  I also think that it's the perfect bike for the kind of driving we'll be doing down in Fontana though, and I know that I'm going to regret not brining it.  It's just not practical, sad as that is.

This should still be a phenomenal road trip though!  I've been getting the car prepped for a long journey.  Sunday I got the oil changed, put in through the car wash, and vacuumed it out.  In the evening Gray and I made some repairs to a crack in the bumper, cleaned the windows, and put some ArmourAll on the dash.  The car's probably feeling pretty good right about now.

Well, that's all for now.  Check back regularly and I'll keep you all posted on any developments.  As Jay said to me earlier, the prospect of just having a week off work is starting to get pretty exciting.  Add to that the fact that this should be a really fun trip, and I'm getting pretty pumped for this weekend.  Enjoy the rest of your week everyone, and I'll touch base soon.

2 comments:

Jabbles said...

Sucks that you aren't taking the bike, but I do understand why.
I actually need to clean up the car, I will cheat and go the the car wash, too cold for a hand washing, but I have smudges on the windscreen I really need to clean.
I applaud you efforts on having a clean car for a car based event.

A note as Colin will be updating more, I will be less likely to be commenting, I will forgive any first commentator.

Aunt J. said...

How gracious of you Jay (snicker snicker!) as I'll probably be the first one to make comments. I can just see that I might regret saying that!!
Have a great time you guys and happy travels.