Monday 17 September 2018

Sunday. Closed.

Howdy everyone!  I hope everyone has had a good weekend.  We started our day early since Gray and Susan had an early flight and we had to clear out of the rental place.  We've got a hotel for our last night in Whitehorse, and we're flying out tomorrow morning.

We weren't able to check in to the hotel that early, but they let us drop our luggage off, and we headed out to a place called Ricky's for a very good breakfast.  After that we made a brief stop at the Visitor's Centre to get some ideas of what to do with our last day.  We settled on taking a drive north along Highway 2 to just see the sights.  It's a beautiful drive, especially with the fall colours, and we made lots of stops to check things out.

I seem to be having issues loading my pictures into the blog right now.  I'm not sure if it's Chrome, Blogger, or the slow internet here, but I guess I'll have to share my photos from the day later.

When we returned from our drive we were able to check in to the hotel and go for some lunch.  We ran into some issues yesterday trying to find lunch, and it was worse today.  A surprising number of businesses in downtown are closed Sunday, or sometimes all weekend.  Whitehorse is a beautiful place, but they aren't terribly efficient at separating tourists from their cash.  Sometimes that's refreshing, but it can become an aggravation when it gets difficult to find something to eat.  We eventually found something to eat, and headed out to the park to let Finn run around for awhile.

In the afternoon we did a little bit of last minute souvenir shopping, which also highlighted just how many of the stores downtown are closed on a Sunday.  Fortunately we were able to hit the ones we wanted, but it's worth noting that if you're going to be in Whitehorse over a weekend you'll really want to plan for a lot to be closed.  Definitely plan to do a hiking trip on Sunday, those tend to not be regulated by hours.

Well, I should get going, I've got a very early morning tomorrow, and a lot of travel ahead of me, so I need to get some sleep.  We're flying out at 6:15 tomorrow, and thanks to a combination of the distance and the time difference it will be around dinner time in Ottawa by the time we touch down.  From there I still have a drive to Bancroft ahead of me.  I suspect that you won't here from me tomorrow, but I'll do my best to get on here Tuesday so that I can do my customary wrap-up post.  Until then, have fun everyone.

1 comment:

Jabbles said...

Part of me likes the idea of things being closed on Sundays but realistically it's just a pain in the butt.