Sunday 16 September 2018

I Don't Know Who Miles Is, But I Like His Canyon

Good evening all!  I hope this posting finds you well.

This morning we headed out to Miles Canyon, just south of Whitehorse.  It's an area where the Yukon River cuts through a narrow canyon before flowing into Schwatka Lake, and it's very picturesque.  Euphy and I had visited briefly on our first trip to Whitehorse, but we didn't really explore the area, so I was eager to get on some of the trails, of which there are many.  We did a nice walk to the southern end of the lake and back, which took up the morning.


A glimpse of the trail system around Miles Canyon.


A suspension bridge takes you from the parking area to the side of the canyon that features most of the trails.


The colour of the water is truly incredible.  It looks like it would be a lovely place for a swim if not for the intense current.  As it is I suspect there would be an unpleasant level of fatality involved.


A view from the trail above Schwatka Lake.


It's a climb to get up here, but then the trail runs along this ridge line, giving you a fantastic view.

After our hike we headed downtown to get some lunch, which proved challenging.  I was surprised at how many restaurants are closed on weekends, or during the day, or during the off-season.  We eventually got some grub, and by the time we got back to the house Finn was pretty much KO'd.  I was still feeling energised though, so while he napped I wandered around the forest behind the house.  I found a trail that I hadn't been on before and came across an unusual natural wonder.


This was easily a five minute walk from any trail that would be big enough to support a car.  Human ingenuity is amazing.


It was mid-to-late afternoon by the time I found this, and there's still a thin layer of ice there.  It must have just stayed in the shadows all day.


I got completely psyched out by this flooded stretch of trail since the water was still enough that it looked like the crest of a hill until I was practically on top of it.


Neat fungus!


Again!

So, that was the bulk of my day.  Gray and Susan are heading out tomorrow and we're downsizing to smaller accommodations for our last day, so there was some packing up and tidying up to be done around here.  It's late now, but I'm going to poke my head outside and see if the aurora are up to anything.  Have a good evening everyone, I'll check in again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jabbles said...

Love that bridge design.