Tuesday 11 September 2018

Kayaking the Yukon River

Hi everyone!  I hope you're all in your individual happy places today.  This will have to be a short post (more on that later) but hopefully you'll enjoy some photos before you leave today.

After breakfast we headed out to Kanoe People in downtown Whitehorse, conveniently located right on the banks of the Yukon River.  Gray, Susan, Dad, and I rented kayaks and started out downstream (roughly northwards.)  The Yukon flows incredibly fast through Whitehorse, and even though I've spent plenty of time in the saddle of a sea kayak it caught me off guard.  The current seems to rob your rudder of some of its steering power, and it was always eager to start spinning your boat around.  Still, all that current comes with the advantage of making exceptional time to wherever you're going.  Our destination was the confluence of the Yukon and Takhini rivers.

This is apparently a very good time to be on the Yukon as the salmon run has just wrapped up, and the local eagle population is still hanging out by the river looking for an easy meal.  We saw more Bald and Golden eagles than I could keep track of!  I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking, as I'm not sure I can type 1000 words at the moment.


Bluffs!


Eagle!


Bluffs!


Eagle!


Bluffs!  (At the confluence of the rivers!)


Eagle!


Kayaks!


Graffiti cajoling you into being a better person!

Okay, so now we get to the part of the tale where I let you in on why I seem to be rushing this particular post.  We chilled out for the later half of the afternoon and into the evening with the intention of trying to see the aurora.  The predictions were that it would be a good night for it.  At about 10:30 we got in the car and drove to a lookout not far from the house.  We weren't really seeing much, although there was definitely a greenish tint to the sky in some places.  We thought that maybe we were just too close to the city, so we jumped back in the car and drove a ways out of town.  Still not really getting anything we decided to abandon the mission and return home.  About half way back to town, the sky lit up!  I found a place to pull over and we stood just off the highway marvelling at the show.  I took a few photos that I hope will turn out well.

The side-effect of all that running around was that I didn't get back in until after midnight.  It's currently just shy of 12:45, and a sensible person would be forgoing their blog in favour of sleep right about now.  Fortunately for all of you I have rarely faced accusations of sensibility.  However, I am trying to put this together in fairly short order.  That's why you'll have to wait until tomorrow for the aurora shots.  I already had a chance to review and process my photos from the kayaking trip, but I'm not willing to crack open Lightroom right now to scope out the aurora photos.  I'll be sure to fire up tomorrow's post with an aurora catch-up though.

For now, it's long past my bedtime.  Be well my friends, I'll talk to you tomorrow/later today.

1 comment:

Jabbles said...

I have to say I do love no nonsense business names. Kanoe People is great. Happy to hear your got our on the water. I know Dan needs that on a trip.