Tuesday 24 July 2007

Kyoto - Day 2

Godzilla says: 'Greetings From Japan!!!!'


Hahaha, yeah, I snapped that in Tokyo, that's just the first time I've been able to upload a picture. One of the computers in the hotel here in Kyoto has Internet Explorer setup in English, so I can actually read Blogspot. Unfortunately getting the pictures off the camera and resized was a bit of a pain, since whoever setup this computer removed all the staple programs, including MS Paint, so I couldn't shrink down my photos very easily. I swear, next time I travel, I'm bringing a laptop with me.
Well, we saw some cool stuff today. We went to the outskirts of Kyoto and wandered around in a bamboo forest.

Just by chance we stumbled upon the Tenryu temple, head temple of Rinzai Zen Buddism. Very cool accident there! Awesome gardens that still hold the same forms as when they were designed in the 14th century.
From there we walked to Iwatayama Monkey Park! On the peak of a decent sized mountain is a reserve for monkeys (baby shown below.) The monkeys are free to wander around, but are cared for and fed regularily to encourage them to stay on the mountain. That way the can be studied, and kept out of trouble. The little buggers can be a real pest when they start getting near civilization. Even up the mountain there are serious precautions to follow, which include not having food on you, and never staring a monkey in the eyes. Don't really know what that last one is about.

Feeding peanuts to the monkeys was a blast, but I think it's about time that I found some food for myself. I hope that everyone is well, and I'll talk to you all later.

4 comments:

Snapé said...

Dude! Glad to here you avoided the earthquake. Congrats on the medals. You must prodly display them at work. Glad your having an awsome trip. I've been posting mine on facebook if you get a chance. On quick note - I don't think those monkey's would take too kindly to you grabing there arms and lets and sending them flying. Although I have a feeling they would make the same shriking noise that the toys do. Talk to you soon

Aunt J. said...

Hey Gray. Nope, I don’t need you to bring anything back for me. But just make sure that Col doesn’t bring home any of those monkeys!

David said...

Hey Colin! Good to hear from you. I just found your blog - sounds like you're having a great time. Congrats on the competition - that's absolutely fantastic, especially the Iaido! Enjoy your vacation and I'll see you in a few weeks.

Unknown said...

Colin, when you stare in the eye of any animal (not just the monkeys), they take it as a challange to invade their privacy wheather its their territory or their lives. that makes them angry and ready to attack. if you fail to lower your eyes before they know you, they will attack. *all kinds of monkeys are well known for that..:)

your trip sounds awesome!! top one this season:))) can't wait to hear more:))

don't stare into monkeys eyes :))))