Thursday 26 July 2007

Back In Tokyo

Hey guys!

A big thanks to all of you who have been taking the time to read about my adventures and share your comments.

I missed posting yesterday just because I was dead tired. We started the day off with a trip to Fushimi-Inari, a mountain covered in shrines dedicated to a successful harvest. The slopes of the mountain are lined with hundreds of orange Torii gates, and it makes for quite the scene. Those of you who have seen the film 'Memoirs of a Geisha' have actually seen Fushimi-Inari in a scene in which a little girl runs through the orange Torii. A fantastic walk, but a reasonably tiring one. :)

We left Kyoto today and made our way to Tokyo. It was a relatively short trip, just 3 hours on the speedy Shinkansen and we were there. No changing trains. It was a nice change. :)

I had a bit of a disappointment on my arrival though. It turns out that the buses that I was counting on for my trip to Mt. Fuji are not as frequent as I had been led to believe. They don't start running until 8am, and the last one leaves Fuji-san at 4:00 in the afternoon. That makes a day-trip climb completely impossible. I was willing to spend a night on the mountain, but the guys didn't want to spend more than one of our (extremely precious) days on the mountain. I went alone to the bus stop to get tickets, and came back to the hotel feeling pretty down about the whole situation. However, on finding that Gray and Jay both seemed pretty up-beat about not having to climb a mountain, I made the decision to do it alone. We're changing hotels Saturday morning (couldn't find ANY hotel that would book us for 3 nights) but I won' t be there, and the guys will carry my luggage. I'll be leaving tomorrow night for Fuji, I'll climb in the evening, spend the night on the summit, and awake to the sunrise. I'll then climb down and re-join the guys Saturday afternoon (oh btw, it's about 10:30pm local time.)

Well, that's it for now. I'd post pics, but I'm a bit tired. We just had a fantastic (and HUGE) meal at a local Yakitori bar. For those not familiar Yakitori is skewered meats and vegetables cooked over charcoal. It's usually considered a snack to accompany beer, but we've done it as a meal a few times just because it's delicious and the atmosphere in Yakitori places tends to be great. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait for pics. I might not be online tomorrow as I'll be preping for my climb. I'll try to get Fuji pics up afterwards though.

Sayonara for now!

7 comments:

Steve-0 said...

Dood,

Sorry for the lack of comments, for whatever odd reason every computer I have access to, seems to take exception with this site. Oh well, here's hoping that this post finally works. I am actually sitting in our server room using an archaic IBM server that may have been created long before Japan was recognized as country. Anyways I have been keeping up to date on all your travels and man I have to say it sounds absolutely amazing!!!! To say I am jealous would be a vast understatement. Congrats on the medals too dude, that is awesome!!! You are officially a ninja, I dont care what anyone else says. Well I am glad to hear that things are going well, have fun on Fuji and say hey to Jay and Gray.

348 Roadster ....

Steve

Snapé said...

mmmmmm...meat

Unknown said...

i guess i should see the memoirs of a geisha now, eh?:))

Colin Young said...

Steve: PIMPIN'!!!!!

Snape-dizzle: OH YEAH!!!!

Polina: Not a great movie in terms of historical accuracy, but nicely filmed in some really beautiful locations.

Mom said...

Hi Colin--We were able to use a computer in the office at Killarney Mountain Lodge, so have caught up on all your news. Sounds like you're having an awesome time. We survived our camping in the interior of Killarney Park, and are now enjoying the accommodations at the lodge. We are doing a lot of kayaking--it's beautiful here as you know. Good luck on Mount Fuji!!

G&G said...

Hi Colin we are really enjoying reading your adventures. Your descriptions are so realistic . We wish we were there to join you on Mt. Fiji. Hope that you were able to do it , I have just read that over 200,000 visitors a year make the trip and the footpath is full of people all the way up the path to the overnight stop! Love G&G

Unknown said...

Colin ,Gray &Jay
I 'm typing,First time for every thing.
Your experience is life changing,drink it up.
I'm looking forward to seeing your photos and the smile on your faces.

Thanks for the blog and have a safe and happy return
Luv Uncle John Aunt Sue &Dana