Friday 20 July 2007

Gomen Nasai

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to say Gomen Nasai (sorry!) about the lack of posts! A word of advice to anyone planning on visiting Nobeoka; if you plan on having internet access, bring your own computer. I almost wish that I had done that myself. I could have used Skype as my phone, and had internet access with a functioning English keyboard (I just spent the last 15min of my 1hour net rental trying to figure out how to turn off the auto-Kanji.)

Well, there's lots to report here! The Budo Festival is over, and it was a lot of fun. Graydyn and Jay have successfully made it to Japan and met up with me, and we are now in Nara. It was actually a little weird leaving Nobeoka, since I'd stayed there for so long. I do feel like I'm really, truly on vacation now though. There was a lot of training, and early mornings in Nobeoka, made for some tiring days. :)

Some very exciting news regarding the Budo Festival! The first day of the Festival was dedicated to competitions, and I am happy to report that I took a medal in three events. My partner Soren and I got a bronze in Jujitsu, my partner D and I took a bronze in Kobudo performing Kenjitsu, and I won the gold in Iaido! I've competed in my fair share of tournaments, but it's the first time I've ever taken gold, so obviously I'm pretty pumped about that! I'm not the only one who brought home medals either, the whole Canadian team did great, with more than our fair share of gold! I can't remember everything from the whole day, but some really exciting gold medal performances by Oscar-senpai in Karate Kata, and our very own Sensei with Jimmy-senpai in Jujitsu! All-round awesome by team Canada!

Now that Graydyn is here I've got a charger for my camera, and I'm feeling a little more confident about wasting precious battery power on uploading pictures... I'll try to get some up shortly. :)

Well, I've only got half an hour left, and there's still some research I need to do, so it's by for now. I'll try to get in tomorrow and get some pics up!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Colin, that is AWESOME!! congratulations!!!!!!:)

Nancy Tam said...

Hey Colin! It's Nancy! Sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to you before you left Nobeoka. I left around 12pm...got a private one hour lesson with Kai Sensei before I left. I checked out the Seibukan board and found your link, so I was excited to read you blog! Good job with the updates! I feel as though I am in Japan still. I hope that phrasebook came in handy for you. By the way, the board said that they are setting up a site for our Japan trip. Can't wait for that to go up. Ryan has uploaded picture on his site. I am still waiting for Serena to send me the link. I had dinner with Patrick-Senpai, Shirley (his girlfriend) and of course Serena and Kristie. I asked them to send some photos over. Jen has posted her photos on facebook. I only have a couple of videos and pictures due to the lack of space in my sad little old camera, but I'll be happy to upload them on a file delivery site if you don't have facebook. Have fun in Japan! I'll be checking in on your blog from time to time. I am indeed very jealous of you right now! Drink more Mitsuya Cider while you can! Sayoonara!