Sunday 8 July 2007

I LIVE!!!!

Normally we talk about the "triumphant return" of someone, but I am here to announce my triumphant departure!

I am currently writing this post from the Mitsui Garden Hotel in Ginza, Tokyo. I'd also like to add that I'm writing this post on a keyboard that is about to drive me to violence. Thank goodness the letters are all in the normal spots, but all the punctuation is out of whack, and the space bar is tiny to accomodate all the extra keys that are needed. So if my punctuation isn't quite up to my usual standard you'll have to forgive me.

Okay, disclaimers aside... here I am, alive and well. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, but I think that's mostly due to an extrordinary lack of sleep. After all my bragging about my fabled ability to sleep anywhere, under any circumstances... yeah, didn't go so hot on the plane. I got the dreaded middle seat. I'd like to point out that I haven't flown since I was about 15-16 years old, and anyone who's known me for that long can tell you one thing for certain... I was a lot smaller back then. A lot. Wait... no... the seats have just gotten smaller, that's the ticket.

Oh, and this is great... I've hardly left home and already I've got a ridiculous story to tell. Have a good chuckle at this one...

The itinerary provided to me by my travel agent stated that I would be leaving Toronto at 10:20, arriving in Chicago at 11:00, and departing Chicago at 12:30. Groovy. It wasn't till I was on the plane that I started to think about the logistics of leaving Toronto at 10:20 and arriving in Chicago at 11:00, barring transport on a fighter jet. So then panic starts to set it. It's 11:00... we're still in the air. It's 11:30... still flying. Crap. I didn't get off that plane until 12:00, exactly an hour after I was supposed to... now I've got 30min to get to the otherside of O'Hare airport. Fortunately I get there in 15min... and they haven't started boarding yet... in fact, at 12:15 by my watch, I'm informed that we probably won't start bording till around 12:00. It took THAT LONG for it to hit me. Yup, Chicago is an hour behind Toronto time. I really did land at 11:00, just as promised. It's a fascinating sensation when you can simultaneously feel relived and retarded.

Well, it's almost 7:30 PM local time, the sun is starting to set and I think I can get some serious Tokyo night photos. Probably all from the comfort of my room actually... you should see the view I have!!! Anyway, time for me to wander the streets aimlessly. Then, when I get back here I'll do something I've wanted to do since I was a small child... buy a beer from a vending machine.

That's all for now guys. Thanks for tuning in, and I'll try to keep you posted, as long as this keyboard doesn't drive me mad. The apostrophe is Shift+7!!!! AHHHH!!!! ;)

Live from Tokyo, this is Colin Young, signing off.

5 comments:

Aunt J. said...

Hey Col. Greetings from BC to Japan. Sounds like you had a wonderful (!!) flight. Take care and hope you have a fantastic time.

Mom said...

Hi Colin, glad to hear you arrived safely. Hope you had a good night's sleep and a great first day. Keep us posted.

G&G said...

Hi Colin,I tried to send a message yesterday, but must have done a Grandpa thing. Anyway here , it is Wednesday, your time,so your already on you way North. Enjoy.G&G

Snapé said...

Dude, glad to hear you made it! I would love to hear what the jet lag is like. Or do you get any, since it's like going ahead a day. Anyways, at least you didn't lose your luggage or anything. Start taking pictures cause we're going to want to see them. By the way, I hear beer isn't the only thing you can get from a vending machine, wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Looking forward to more stories. BOOYA!

Unknown said...

Hi Colin!!
so I read you had yourself a good start for the trip!! :))
excellent!! ;)
can't wait for the next story;)

can we have a pic of that keyboard with all the wrong punctuation on it?:))

have a blast and dont forget to record it for us!:)

see yah!:)