Sunday 18 January 2015

Bluffer's Park

What's this now?  Could it be that I'm actually writing a blog post?  Before any of you panic, I want you to realize that nobody is putting a gun to my head.  You can all relax.  I just realized that this something I need to be doing far more often, and there's no reason that I have to use this blog solely for sharing vacation photos and stories.  I should be practicing my photography more often, just as I should be practicing my writing more often.  I also know myself too well to realize that if I don't post some photos and provide a small write-up within minutes of getting home that it will never happen.  So, in the spirit of self-improvement, here's a trip I took today, just moments ago, only a short drive from home.

The outing was actually Jay's idea, so all credit goes to him for this.  We drove down to Bluffer's Park, which is right on the lake here in Scarborough, and provides a great view of both Lake Ontario and the spectacular Scarborough Bluffs.  It drizzled on us a bit, but when the temperature manages to claw its way above zero in January you don't let a little rain stop you from getting outside.

I'm going to start things off with some pictures of ducks, but I feel the need to clarify one thing: there were people throwing seeds just a few feet from where I was standing.  I am neither carrying a 1200mm lens nor a stealthy hunter.  Oh well, I had to take the opportunity when it presented itself.


Mallard ducks really are spectacular.  They're not shy when people are throwing seed around, but I'm still thrilled to be able to get up close.



The oft under-appreciated female Mallard.  She may not have an iridescent head, but I think this plumage is spectacular all the same.




I feel like this is a metaphor for something...



We eventually moved on from the easy-pickings and wandered around the park.


The stark beauty of the Bluffs in winter.



It's a little unnerving being at the very base of these bluffs.  You're wandering around on a carpet of bluff chunks, and when the wind blows you can see little trails of dust detach themselves from the sides.  People die here by walking too close to the upper edge and causing it to give way, but I'm not sure the bottom is any safer.


Froze a splash of water... you may have to enlarge this photo to get the proper effect.


This bicycle has seen better days.



I couldn't get close enough to these guys to get a really good shot, and the fact that they were swimming away didn't help.  Going to post this shot on Facebook and see if Dad can help my identify them.  I really don't know my birds.


Further out in the lake there were dozens of them!


Caught a couple of geese coming in for a landing.

There you go folks.  Just a reminder that you can always take a mini-vacation right in your own back yard.  Enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!

2 comments:

Jabbles said...

The mallard shots are wonderful.

Debbie said...

Beautiful shots and I always love your commentary.