Saturday 17 January 2015

Photo Round-up - Part 2

Back again!

Having covered the night sky contributions to my photo collection, I'm now going to post some of my favourite pictures from the rest of the Whitehorse trip.


Starting off with Euphy at Muktuk Adventures, visiting the sled dogs.


Their batch of puppies: Mork, Mindy, and Gilligan


I'm still not clear on how I managed to get Euphy to ever leave this place...


Our mighty Ford Focus.  Renting a car up there was a great decision.  It really have us the freedom to explore, and we had a great time doing just that.


We wandered around an area that had been devastated by a forest fire decades earlier.  The trail led us to this beautiful overlook.


Zoomed in shot of glaciers in the distance.


The colder temperatures have a serious impact on the number of insects, and the amount of time that they're active.  This means that things like dead/burned trees don't decay at the rate that they would further south.


The results of my ill-advised trip to the lake.  The road got so bad that we weren't able to push through, and we ended up stuck in the mud.


Elk at the Yukon Wildlife Preserve.  It was an incredible place to visit, an absolute must-see for anyone in the area.


Where the buffalo roam.


The deer were not particularly shy.


Ground Squirrels are everywhere up there.  I managed to get this shot with the zoom lens...


...Euphy managed to get this shot by walking up to the squirrel and sticking her cell phone in his face.  Tame animals will have a substantial impact on the necessary equipment for wildlife photography.


We were very lucky to see this lynx.  They are shy at the best of times, and like to stick to cover.  Our success was due in large part to the lack of foliage.  September really was the perfect time to visit.


There's only one moose in the whole park, and we were fortunate enough to see him.


Boreale Mountain Biking Lodge is a great place to enjoy a pint.


They also had dogs... Euphy seemed pleased with this.


The view from a small hill above the lodge.  They call these peaks The Seven Sisters.


Emerald Lake, just south of the Mountain Biking Lodge.


They couldn't fit "Carcross Not-Technically-a-Desert" on the sign.


The "desert" stretching out before us.


Carcross.


Our time on horseback.

So there you have it folks!  I was able to type up a number of stories from the trip while we were there, but posting photos wasn't in the cards.  I'm now caught up on Whitehorse, and ready for the next adventure.  I'd like to think that I'm learning from all my attempts to blog while on the road, and I remain confident that one of these days I'll have a trip where every day culminates in a blog, complete with photos.  One of these days...

No comments: