Sunday 18 August 2019

Look What I Found!

Salutation friends!

We're off on another adventure, this time to Newfoundland.  Gros Mourne park has been on my bucket list since I first saw photos of it, and I've decided that it's high time that I get it checked off the list.  Long-time readers will remember that my trip to Iceland in 2009 was timed such that I spent the last week of my twenties on an epic trip and returned home for my thirtieth birthday.  Well I'm here in the same spirit; the next two weeks(ish) will be the last of my thirties and I'll fly home just in time to celebrate my fortieth.

I'm fortunate to once again be surrounded by family on a trip; Euphy, Finn, Mom, Dad, and Jay are all with me for this one.  As Euphy and I were in the very early days of planning we found a promising AirBnB that we jumped on, and having a whole house at our disposal meant that we could accommodate other adventurers.  It's great to have family with you for these trips, and I'm excited that so many people could be here for this one.

We actually flew in to Deer Lake yesterday, but after clearing the airport, getting our rental car and some groceries, and making our way to the house it was getting close to dinner.  We grabbed some food in nearby Woody Point, but that was about the extent of our day, so I waited until today to start blogging about the trip.

The view from our front yard.

They've got good cod here!  Who knew?

A view back from Woody Point towards the Tablelands.

Gros Morne is a massive park, and it's split by significant bays.  We're at the western end of the park, near the area called the Tablelands.  We haven't got out that way to thoroughly explore, but we've driven past the area and it's a spectacular geological sight.  The otherwise lush landscape gives way dramatically to towering mounds of red rock.  We're hoping to get out and take a guided tour in the near future.

A lot of our plans are going to be dependent on the notoriously unpredictable weather.  Today was mostly overcast, and while there were drizzly periods it wasn't enough to keep us locked indoors.  After breakfast we headed towards the small town of Trout River to hike an easy coastal trail.  We stopped off in town to grab some sandwiches for the hike at a local deli and walked along the beach for a bit.

Know idea if you could swim here, but it's a gorgeous beach.

Once you get on the lighthouse trail you gain elevation pretty quickly via a combination of wooden stairs and some steep slopes.  That's over with pretty quickly and you find yourself walking along a grassy plateau for the rest of the short hike.

Terrific views of Trout River abound!

Also terrific views of precarious cliffs.  Staying back from the edge is advisable.

Dressed for the weather!

Lighthouse Trail: Little Man Approved

After leaving Trout River we took a quick trip down to the nearby lake to relax on the shoreline.  Finn was able to engage in his all-time favourite beach activity of throwing rocks into the water.

Chill.

We returned to the house early and I got some stretching done while Jay and Dad got the charcoal BBQ going.  I'm trying to stay limber and healthy since I've got some big hikes on the menu but I've been having a lot of trouble with my ankle.  With any luck I can get through this with a combination of stretching routines and taking it easy where I can.

The misty weather treated us to a stunning rainbow this evening.

I'm going to call it a night now.  We've got some mediocre weather on the forecast for the next couple of days, but that didn't slow us down too much today.  They're calling for good weather on Wednesday, so if that holds Jay and I will be tackling the big hike up Gros Mourne mountain.  The forecasts have been changing rapidly though, so at the end of the day we're just going to have to play this by ear and hope for some luck.

On that note: wish me luck!

2 comments:

Jabbles said...

I am happy to be joining you on this trip. We certainly get to see each other on a regular basis but it has been far too long since we got to travel together. Today was a pretty good day, somewhat light on the adventuring but it was definitely a case of quality over quantity. This area is absolutely beautiful, just driving to and from our destinations is a treat. Looking forward to that big boy hike, although my big boy status may make the steep climb a challenge. I freely admit I am not really athletic but I do seem to posses some decent stamina.

Debbie said...

Looks beautiful! Cod looks delicious! Have a wonderful time.