Tuesday 20 August 2019

Disaster Strikes (my equipment)

Good morning all!

Sorry about the lack of a post last night, but I was feeling a little rough by the time we got back to the house, and just didn't have it in me to get on and do some writing.  Also, the internet here is atrocious, so it took a long while to get my photos uploaded.

We headed out to the Coastal Trial yesterday, which is an easy little stroll along a rocky beach.  Unfortunately with the backpack I use to carry Finn my pockets were blocked, so I was fumbling with my phone the whole time trying to get photos, which lead to me dropping it on the gravel path.  It was just from waist height, which really shouldn't have been a significant issue, but it must have landed perfectly on a rock because I managed to shatter the camera lens.  This is a significant setback as I was planning on using that as my primary camera for the trip.  In fact, the only other camera equipment I've got are my action video camera and my good Pentax, but only with my long lens.  I'd intended to use the phone for scenery and the Pentax for wildlife.  Leaving my short lens at home has put me in a situation where I've got no backup plan.  Shakespeare would have something to say about my hubris, I'm sure.

Fortunately between Dad and Jay we've got a decent amount of photography still happening.  Jay's been routinely uploading his shots to Google Photos, so I should be able to integrate those into the blog with minimal effort.




The long lens comes in handy sometimes.

The last photo I took before destroying my camera phone.

After our hike we headed into Deer Lake to pick a few things up, and we hit the Insectarium, which is a small but delightful museum just on the outskirts of town.  They're breeding all manner of butterflies there and you can walk around checking them out.  They've also got exhibits dedicated to various other forms of insect life.  It was very interesting, and Finn had a blast running around there.  I'll grab some of Jay's photos just as soon as I figure out how...

Well, I'm going to get my day started, I'll try to check in again tonight.

2 comments:

Jabbles said...

It was indeed quite unfortunate to break the camera on your phone but I am happy that you aren't letting it ruin your trip.

Debbie said...

😥 To bad about the camera! I always love your pics.