Saturday 22 August 2009

It's A Madhouse Out There

Well, today concluded my diving tour of Iceland. We were back at Silfra, the site of my first dive and took two more runs through it, following slightly different routes. I charged the camera last night, but it still only had enough juice to be constantly on for the first dive. Still, I seem to have got a better handle on the operation of the underwater camera, and my pictures turned out a lot better. However, I will not be posting any of those pictures tonight as I'm currently at the library. It's Culture Day in Reykjavík (the accented "i" is much easier on an Icelandic keyboard!) and the place is packed! By "the place" I don't mean my usual Internet café, I mean Reykjavík! The main street and many of the streets connecting to it are shut down and full of people. Every little shop and restaurant is full of people. Even the library is a pretty happenin' place right now. I tried to get into my usual spot, but without success, so pictures will have to wait till tomorrow. Once I'm finished here I'm going to go check out the wild street party happening outside. Just a quick five minute walk brought me across numerous live music acts, so finding entertainment shouldn't be an issue. Getting to bed before sunrise with all this commotion might be another issue, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I've got nothing booked for tomorrow, and I'm just going to play it by ear. Monday is my day on the glacier. I should be on with a more thorough post tomorrow. Take care for now!

5 comments:

Steve-0 said...

Good timing to go to Iceland I guess. In my minds eye I am picturing Mardi Gras with an Icelandic flair. Don't forget to buy some beads to hand out. I think that is like saying "hello" if I am not mistaken.

Jabbles said...

Alway nice to visit a place with a festival going on have fun.

Unknown said...

You know you have come to the right country when "Even the library is a pretty happenin' place right now."

Aunt J. said...

Ok so I'm several days behind in reading about your adventures as I've only just started reading them today. Ya ya... I know, old age is setting in -- just you wait! Sounds like a fabulous trip to date. Just make sure you decide to come home.

Grammie said...

Trip sounds so great! Can't wait to hear about the glacier. Hope you weren't too under the weather after the festival.