Friday 21 August 2009

First, The Much Anticipated Pictures

Okay guys, you've all been very patient waiting for pictures, so I'll post the details of today's adventures separately. First, here's a bunch of pictures!


Not a great shot, since I've got a lot of the inside of a bus here, but it displays the general look of the landscape between Keflavik (the airport) and Reykjavik.


The Blue Lagoon! This shot comes closest to really capturing the weird colour of the water.


Also from the Blue Lagoon. This is what the rocks look like at the water's edge... and I swam in that. Hmmm....


Hallgrimskirkja, probably the most distinctive monument in Reykjavik. Not normally covered in scaffolding.


My humble abode.


A nice shot of the main shopping street in Reykjavik.


An underwater shot from Silfra. Sadly this didn't turn out in perfect focus. It's a real shame, but I hope you still get a sense of the amazing clarity of the water, and the incredible geology which I was swimming through.


Another Silfra shot which is, sadly, not in perfect focus. I was still trying to figure out the camera at this point, all while wearing thick wetsuit gloves, so I think I was hammering down on the shutter too quickly and not giving the camera time to focus.


A better Silfra shot. Starting to get the hang of it at this point. Fun fact, my dive buddy Helmut had a dive computer which recorded the water temperature at a balmy 1 degree Celsius.


An above-water shot of the Silfra dive sight. We followed that network of pools out to the main lake.


Some random super-cool dude in a dry suit. At this point he is blissfully unaware of just how wet he's about to be.


The original Geysir.


The mighty Gullfoss! Can't get that bad boy all in one shot, but I liked this one best.


The crater at Keridh. It's hard to tell from this shot, but that's a LONG way down!


A random shot of a Reykjavik street. This city has an incredible number of brightly coloured buildings.


Today's Divemaster Louis in the foreground, and in the background Helmut checking out the fairly significant jump we were going to be making to get into the water. I don't think I'd ever done a giant-stride entry from 8 feet before.


A picture of Helmut. Please note the water level here. This is after our second dive and the tide had come in to the point that it was washing over the pier.


Helmut found a shark's egg! How cool is that?


Water clarity wasn't so hot today, but I did manage a shot of these Herring. There were tons of them trailing us on our first dive.


Managed to get close enough to this Scorpion Fish that it negated the poor water clarity.

Okay, I'll make another post right away to tell you all about what I did today, but before any further technical or time difficulties prevent me from showing off my pictures, I'm posting this!

4 comments:

Jabbles said...

Who told you I was patient about the pictures?
Awesome shots tough buddy. The shark egg is crazy I would have never guessed they looked like that.

Steve-0 said...

Crazy dood!!! Seems to be very open countryside, sorta amazing considering it is a rather small island. I thought it would be pretty densely populated. That shark egg is awesome, what did it taste like?

Unknown said...

About the shark egg; I've seen a lot of photoshops in my day, but that is by far the most obvious. I mean, did you see all the pixels? I counted over 20 of them.
On a side note I would like you to know that I have legally had my name changed to Helmut.

Arnon G Melo said...

Hey Colin,
Finally had a chance to open your blog and pics of Iceland. Amazing. You did IT.
Congrats.

all the best,
Arnon