Tuesday 12 April 2011

Off-road Riding Training

Good morning everyone!  I hope you've all been keeping up with the posts from Gray and Susan as they progress through Italy.  I believe that they're heading to Rome today and will be remaining there until they return to Toronto on Sunday.  Keep checking in through the week to see if they give us any more updates.

I don't have much to say on this morning's topic, but I wanted to throw it out there anyway to gauge interest.  When I was at the Outdoor Adventure Show I met a guy who runs rider training courses for all manner of off-road vehicles.  He was not the first person to tell me that a motorcycle rider's skills can be greatly improved by learning the techniques necessary to ride a dirt bike.  The primary concern for an off-road rider is maintaining control of the bike when the rear wheel is getting less-than-ideal traction.  The idea here is that riding off-road will establish the knowledge and muscle-memory to deal with a skid on gravel, and make you that much more capable of successfully navigating such an event if you encounter it on your street bike.

So that's why I want to take a course in trail riding.  The benefit to non-riders?  It's supposed to be a TON of fun!

Check out this website:  http://www.cmts.org/

The training facility is located just North of Barrie, which makes it easily accessible from Toronto.  Also, they are recommending the Horseshoe Valley Resort as a nearby place to stay, which could be pleasant if we wanted to get there the night before, since I think the classes start early.

I'd really like to get a group together for this, so if you're at all interested in getting out on the trails and seeing what it's like to ride an off-road motorcycle please let me know.

I'll leave you all to ponder that for the time being, but please get back to me if you're interested in coming out for the rider training.  Keep checking in for updates from Gray and Susan, and I'll talk to you all next week.

2 comments:

Jabbles said...

I think this came up last year. I was interested then and I am interested now. No time to look at the link right now but I assume it van easily be done in one week end without the need for time off, the only real issue is cost and weather or not we could be in the same class since you do have some riding experience.

Anonymous said...

Can't make firm commitment but me and Susan have some interest in this.