Tuesday 25 January 2011

An Update On the Camping Plans

Good morning everyone!

My apologies for not posting last Tuesday, I was having a tough week and my usual Tuesday morning routine got forgotten.  I'm back in action now though!  Sadly I don't have much to report at the moment... I've just got back from vacation and I don't have much on the horizon at the moment.  I wasn't very strategic with spending my vacation time this year, and used a lot of it towards the front half of the year.  I've now found myself in this situation where I've only got 5 days of vacation to last me until the end of June.  Unfortunately that's not going to make for very exciting blogging over the next few months, but I'll do my best.  I've been in these travel doldrums before and managed to find inspiration for writing, I'm sure I can pull it off again.

For now I just wanted to give everyone an update on my proposed camping trip in May.  My decision to write about it again is only partially influenced by the fact that it's the only vacation I've got to look forward to for awhile so I'm looking WAY forward.  The other deciding factor was that it's still in it's formative stages, so if anyone is interested in coming along you can still speak up.

I'd mentioned before that you have to book very early in Killarney if you want to get a good campsite, but things seem to be functioning a bit out of the ordinary this year.  Dad's been handling the reservation process, but he said that the usual system for reserving a site is currently down and the reservations are being taken directly by the park.  He made a call earlier and was told that the campsites in channel between the mainland and Phillip Edward Island aren't actually very popular and don't need that much advance registration.  Also, it's apparently acceptable to just camp out on the island if you can't get the site you were looking for.  This has drastically reduced the urgency of the situation.

The only real concern at this point is booking a place to stay in Killarney when we're not camping, and there's even some debate surrounding that.  Given my lack of available vacation days we're looking at going up for the Victoria Day long weekend in May, and possibly skipping the stop at KML either at the beginning or end of the trip so that I don't have to use as much vacation time.  There's still some debate surrounding that.

The moral of the story today is that this trip is still malleable, but probably not for long.  Any desire to participate can be entertained, but should probably be brought forward at your nearest convenience.

Well, I'm off to work.  I hope you are all doing well and I'll talk to you all again next week.

1 comment:

Jabbles said...

It would be nice to go but I have another trip planned the last week of April. Technically I have no set vacation days but it is difficult to take too much time off in a short time frame. Hope you have a good trip though.