Tuesday 30 November 2010

Itchin' For A Roadtrip

Do you ever just get fixated on a particular vacation idea?  Lately mine has been roadtripping.  Every time I'm in my truck heading somewhere I want to just keep on rollin'.  I'm not sure exactly what it is that's got me so keen to go for a drive.  It could be just the simplicity of it all; when I'm driving down the road it means that I'm listening to good music (by my standards) and I'm not doing whatever it is that "needs" to be done at that particular moment.  I'm just driving.  It's also a very personal means of travel.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still keen on flying, but only because it can get me to far-away locations in a hurry.  The actual process of flying isn't very fun at all.  Driving on the other hand lets you see each and every mile you cover while it whistles past your side windows.

This is, of course, a perfectly awful time of year to be having yearnings for a road trip.  The weather is just starting to turn foul, and even if I drove South I'd be murdering my winter tires.  Also, my bike's in storage, so I couldn't just throw it in to the back of the truck and go somewhere with twisty roads.  I think I'm just going to have to put these roadtrip desires on hold for a little while... but sometimes getting an idea out of my head can be a difficult thing.

I should probably also get a tonneau cover for my truck if I want to bring anything more substantial than a backpack with me.  Of course, who needs anything more substantial than a backpack?

Okay, I know it's a short post this week, but I just wanted to share my daydream with everyone.  Have a great week and I'll talk to you all next Tuesday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If it helps, you can drive to the store and buy me a sammich.

Jabbles said...

I know what you mean, I too have the same itch, he he.
Heck I just want to go for a drive, my MINI has been sitting idle for over a week.
Here is another good reason for two sets of wheels, you can switch over if going down south, DIY or for a small fee I am sure any tire shop could swap them over for you.
You are right about the flying thing it can be a pain. I won't take credit but I forgot where I saw this. Basically there is a formula for driving, if the total travel time exceeds the time spent at your destination then fly otherwise drive. Unless you like your junk being grabbed by a stranger who hates his job, then flying wins every time.