Tuesday 5 October 2010

CN Tower

Well it appears to be Tuesday, I'm up and ready for work, and I believe that means it's time to get back in to my regular blogging routine.  I do miss having something noteworthy to write about every day, but I'm pretty sure you'd all get fairly bored with a detailed description of my daily life when I'm not on vacation.

It may not be travel, but I do have an interesting adventure on the horizon.  I've decided to participate in the "2010 Enbridge CN Tower Climb for United Way" at the end of this month.  I'll be ascending the CN Tower in lovely downtown Toronto, but instead of taking the leisurely elevator ride up to the top I'll be climbing to the 346 meter high Main Deck via the staircase which is normally reserved for emergency exiting of the structure.  I believe that I will be using 1776 steps to accomplish this goal.  Apparently 2579 steps would get us to the Sky Pod, but I don't think that's on the menu... sadly.


Basically this is one of those fundraisers where the participant is meant to put themselves through something physically gruelling while their friends and family pay money to encourage this suffering.  It's a fairly long-standing tradition amongst fundraisers I believe.  I see a slight problem with this logic, unfortunately.  I actually WANT to climb the stairs of the CN Tower, and have in fact been quite interested in doing so for some time now.  I'm not sure if that makes me a lunatic, or just a bad fundraiser, but there you have it.  If you'd like to get back to the old traditions and think of this as some sort of torture for me I will mention that they won't let me bring my phone, camera, or MP3 player on the climb.  Not being able to photographically document my fun, and having no music to help propel me up the tower seems a bit inhumane to me.  So there you go, I'll suffer for your amusement, please give generously.


All joking aside, the cause is worthy and I'd appreciate the support if any of you would care to sponsor me on this venture.  Please click the following link to donate electronically:


http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?SID=2776475

I'm afraid that the time has come for me to head in to the office, so I'll bid you all a fond adieu for the week.  For those of you in Canada please have a lovely Thanksgiving long weekend, and for my American friends have a happy Columbus Day.  I will see you all again next Tuesday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's a rule against bringing your camera, eh? I bet there's also a rule against pushing over fatties that climb too slow.
The moral of the story is: Some rules are meant to be broken.

Aunt J. said...

Ok, so I can understand why you can't bring a camera (I'm thinking security reasons) but I'm at a loss as to why you can't bring a cell or MP3. God forbid, but what happens if someone has an accident? Wouldn't it make sense to have a phone handy? And what's the issue about no music. What idiot made up those rules!