Tuesday 22 June 2010

Generic Post #20100622

Good Morning loyal fans!

I'm in one of those grim periods where I have no concrete travel plans at the moment.  This is a state of being which causes me something akin to physical pain, so I'm doing my very best to alleviate the situation as quickly as possible.  I was talking to my Dad on Sunday (of course!) and suggested that we go camping in September, so with any luck we'll be able to start making some plans there that will quench my thirst for travel planning.

Of course, there's also the trip to B.C. that I said I'd like to make this summer.  I was very close to firming up those plans, but unfortunately work stepped in a threw a wrench into the works.  Apparently things are going to be very busy for me during the month of July and I've been asked not to take any extended vacations during that time.  It's an understandable request, and one that I'm happy to oblige, but it does put me back as square one for planning this trip.  Square one being the square where I figure out when exactly I'll be able to go.

My friend Richard also mentioned this past weekend that he was planning a trip to Las Vegas in January.  I guess it's still a tentative plan, but he said I'd be welcome to join him on that trip if it ends up being a sure-thing.  I'm pretty keen on that offer; I haven't been to Vegas since I was a kid and I'd like to see it from the perspective of someone who can legally gamble and drink.  My only concern with Vegas is that it may impact my blog.  I'm very big on tradition, and the ancient and holy tradition of "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" may make for some pretty uninteresting blogging.  I don't think anyone would be satisfied with "Woke up, did some stuff I'd rather not tell you all about, going to bed now."  We'll see how that goes...

So here I am in a funny situation.  I don't really have an official vacation to start obsessing over, but I've got three potential ones all on the horizon.  Hopefully I'll have to exciting travel news to start writing about in the very near future.  Bear with me through these difficult times.

In other news, I got myself a new motorcycle jacket on Saturday.  I wasn't very happy with my other jacket since it was a bit too big for me and I was concerned that in the case of an accident the baggy garment would shift around and I wouldn't get the full protection of the armour incorporated into it.  Also, it's a solid black jacket, which raises some safety concerns, especially if I was on the road at night.  So, I've replaced it with a much tighter fitting leather jacket which should provide much more protection in the case of a fall.  Also, it's mostly white with black accents, so it should increase my visibility.  Hey, the fact that it matches my bike doesn't hurt my feelings either.

My next big thing will be to grab some straps to tie down my bike while it's in the bed of my truck.  I'm hoping to pick some of those up shortly so I can make my first attempt at hauling the bike when I go home for the Canada Day long weekend.  Hopefully that will go smoothly, which will put me in a good position to start driving all over the place with my bike in the back.  One step closer to realizing the dream of the Salute to Fossil Fuels.

Well, that's all for this week.  I hope you are all doing well, and I'll talk to you again next week.

1 comment:

Jabbles said...

Sorry about the lack of travel plans. It's not quite the same but have you thought of a mini trip? Long week end plus a day, work said no extended vacation but can they handle things for a day or two?
I have nothing planned but I do want to head up in northern Michigan for a short camping trip, I will be satisfied with an overnighter.