Tuesday 1 December 2009

Faster Than Expected

Just last week I posted my plans to book a last-minute vacation for late January.  The intention was to wait, possibly even in to early January, to see what kind of deals I could manage.  That particular aspect of the plan has actually gone out the window.  A week of research yielded some interesting travel options, and already some pretty good deals.  As Graydyn began to do more research he found some likely prospects and began to worry that by waiting until the last-minute all of the good resorts would be scooped up and we would be left with a very cheap trip to somewhere sub-par.  So, given his concerns, and the fact that we were able to find a 5-star for under a thousand, we booked our vacation this weekend.

We're going to be heading to the Riu Bachata in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic:

http://www.riu.com/en-ca/Paises/dominican-republic/puerto-plata/clubhotel-riu-bachata/index.jsp

That resort consistently came up at the top of lists of good deals in the 5-star range at various travel websites. I also have a certain amount of faith in the Riu chain of resorts, having spent a lovely week at one in Jamaica, and also having heard glowing reviews from co-workers about the Riu in Aruba.  Getting a place with good food was a critical requirement for me, and reviews of this and other Riu resorts seems to indicate that food is something they do consistently well.

So, there you have it.  We didn't really operate according to the original game plan, but as with all good plans, you've got to be willing to throw them out the window at the first sign that they aren't working for you.  Our next step will be figuring out what to do when we get there.  At this point I'm not entirely opposed to sitting in a beach chair with a drink for a week, but I have a feeling that I'll get restless as soon as I attempt that particular activity.  With that in mind I've already started putting out my feelers for scuba diving, Graydyn's found a good snorkeling day trip, and I've got a bit of information on an interesting sounding hike.  More on all of that as details become available.  For now I'm just happy to know for sure that I'm going south this winter!

That's all for now.  I'm sure that you'll hear more about this vacation as the date draws near.  Have a good week everyone.

2 comments:

Jabbles said...

I have very little to add this week but I must keep my spot as first commenter. I do hope you enjoy your trip though.

Aunt J. said...

And I don't have much to say but that I'm following tradition as the 2nd commenter.
Oh but I must mention that I just returned from a long weekend in Portland, Oregan for Black Friday (shop til you drop!!!)