Sunday 25 September 2011

Coming Soon, To a Toronto Near You

Good evening ladies and gents!  I hope today finds you all in good health and better spirits.  It's been an unseasonably warm weekend and I've been making every effort to enjoy the fine weather while it lasts.

I know that November isn't exactly right around the corner, but I wanted to give everyone plenty of warning in advance this year: The Gourmet Food and Wine Expo is coming!  This is an annual event that I haven't missed the past four or five years running, but always seem to remember at the last possible moment.  This time I wanted to get a post out early in the hopes that some of you will be able to join me for this year's event.  Some of you may recall that I've mentioned the Expo before, here's last year's post-show post:

http://colinswanderings.blogspot.com/2010/11/food-wine-and-travel.html

For those readers who don't feel like re-reading my old posts, I'll attempt to summarize the show.  Food.  Wine.  Lots.

All jesting aside, it's a great way to get out and try some new wines.  I've frequently been introduced to something amazing at the show; it was at a similar show that I discovered Mediera, which remains a personal favourite in the fortified wine category, I tried a tequila there once that totally changed my perception of the beverage, I got my first taste of what amazing whites are being produced in New Zealand, and last year I found out that The Republic of Georgia makes incredible reds.  The show really hits the three I's: interesting, informative, and intoxicating.

I got a discount code via e-mail this weekend, and while I'm not sure if there's a limit on how many tickets I can apply that to I'm certainly willing to put in an order for all my friends and family in the hopes of getting us all in there on the cheap.

This year's show runs from November 17-20 and I expect that I'll be heading in there on Saturday the 19th.  We've discovered through trial and error that the best experience can be had by attending the show as early in the day as possible, before the crowds set in.  On Saturday the doors open at noon (presumably to conform to appropriate social conventions around what time of day to drink) and I will be making every effort to be among the first people through the doors.

Here's the link to the official website:

http://www.foodandwineexpo.ca/sitepages/

I'm recommending that anyone who has the opportunity to be in Toronto during that weekend send me an email so that I can get some tickets.  Gray, Susan, and I had a blast there last year, but this year I'd love to make it a group event.  Give me a shout if you're interested!

1 comment:

Jabbles said...

I should be able to make it, remind me as the day gets closer.