Tuesday 20 July 2010

Now Here's A Neat Idea

Here's something that Jay sent to me which I thought you might all find interesting:

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/index.php

They're called "Teardrop Trailers" and the concept is that it's basically just a bed and a roof over your head that you tow around.  If you follow the link above it actually shows one of the smaller models, which isn't much bigger than the PT Cruiser that's towing it.  I've never been a big fan of the concept or RV-ing or Caravanning, but this actually holds some appeal to me.  I guess it's small enough that I don't think towing it would be a huge hassle, and since it's really just a bed and a roof I wouldn't feel lame pulling up to a campground and spending the night in one.  I always snicker a little bit at people who roll into a Provincial Park in something that's more luxurious than my townhouse and claim to be "camping."  One of these Little Guy trailers is practically just a really hard tent though.

I think Jay summed it up best actually:  "Something nice about pulling up pretty much anywhere, truck stop/ Walmart parking lot and climbing into bed."

It's always been my dream to do a cross-country road trip, and something like this could significantly cut down on costs while maintaining a modicum of comfort.  They even make a model that has a platform in between the sleeping area and your vehicle that's big enough to store a motorcycle on.  I'm sure you can all hear the gears turning away in my head....

Of course, don't expect to see one of these in my driveway any time soon... largely because I have no driveway. As with my earlier concept of getting a trailer for my bike, this idea is sadly crushed by my lack of space.  Also, while the main Little Guy page refuses to list prices, I've been seeing them online for between $5-10k, which is a whole lot of money for a bed.  I've seen other brands on eBay for far less though, so I don't think the cost necessarily has to be prohibitive.

Well my friends, that's all for me this week.  Have a great week, and I'll talk to you all again next Tuesday.

3 comments:

Jabbles said...

For the handyman type I am sure something quite nice could be built at home using an existing utility trailer for a significantly less. I think the waterproofing would be the biggest concern.

Aunt J. said...

Not too sure if I'd want to sleep in a box.

Jabbles said...

It's funny I knew these existed but I have rarely seen them today I saw two different ones.