Wednesday 10 June 2009

Let's Try Something New

Good morning everyone!  Yesterday I got my hands on a Flip Mino portable video camera and I've decided to try posting a video to my blog.  This is just a little something I recorded at my kitchen table this morning.  Have a look at my first effort:



So there you go!  I think that turned out okay actually.  I was trying to keep it short, so I didn't go into a lot of detail, but my main problem with the video on the point-and-shoot is that it's TINY, and saves in the MOV format.  For those of you not in the know, MOV is Apple's proprietary format.  It's viewable on a PC, but Quicktime is appaulingly bad on the PC.  I've been assured by my numerous Mac-fan friends that it's a wonderful program on a Mac, but I'll have to take their word for that.

The video weighs in at 45Mb, which isn't too bad at all.  I'm actually writing this post as it uploads, and it's still going, taking its sweet time about it.  That may actually prove my greatest deterent to using the video as a blogging device in the future.  I won't want to add to many videos on the go if it's going to take me all day to do so.  Only time will tell.

Okay, somewhere between 5-10 minutes later my video has been uploaded, and it is now "Processing" the video.  No idea how long that takes, but it's assured me that I can save this post and return to actually post it when the processing is complete.  That indicates to me that this could take awhile.  This has been a good experiment actually, it's good to know that this is a time taking process, and something that might not always been possible while on the road.

For now, I'm going to save this and head to work.  I'll get it posted for you all this evening when I get home.

*UPDATE, 7:38PM EST:  Okay, here we go, I'm back from work and I'm making the post.  Woo!

1 comment:

Jabbles said...

Nice video there buddy.
I am sure there is a great converting program out there so you can keep that nasty .MOV stuff off you computer. I would not mind quicktime so much myself if it didn't need an update so often. If you don't update when it needs it, it causes freeze ups.